Sunday, January 03, 2010

A Busy Time


It's been a very busy - and unusual - Christmas and New Year.
My 90 year old Dad had to go back into hospital, where they discovered a massive abscess in the hip joint that he had replaced 3 years ago. In case it's tea time when you read this, I'll spare you the details of drainage etc, but after clearing the infection, they have removed the infected artificial hip bit, and left him with....no hip joint..... so it's going to be awhile before he is mobile again.

So, in 17 days I drove down to his (emergency) bedside and back again (a round trip of 275 miles) on 3 occasions; Christmas Dinner was had in the hospital staff canteen; I was in my own home for a total of  6 days - just enough to get the washing done before travelling again....... And it was all worth it!!!!
At present, Dad is recovering well, although it is still early days - only 2 days since the operation. Mum (89 herself) is remarkable in her fortitude and strength; and my sister, who is playing the essential support role, is an angel.
No wonder my family are my heroes!

No comments:

Post a Comment