Monday, February 15, 2010

Friday nights....

Well, Friday night was a visit to the expensive out-of-hours vet again. And a bill of £167 for the pleasure of visiting the vet, and having Bryn's torn claw removed (don't anyone dare feel sorry for him!) and pain relief, anti-inflammatories and antibiotics for him, and anti-inflammatories for Amber.........and hibiscrub and plasters for me.

Amber is a door guarder and self-appointed enforcer. In the dark, in the garden, she decided to enforce her rota for who went up the veranda steps first, and Bryn decided he'd had enough, so a scuffle ensued. I brought Corker inside pronto (bless him - you can always see exactly what he is thinking 'Oooh! A fight! How exciting! I wonder if I should join in?') expecting for the handbags to be put away when I got back outside. Far from it! Anyway, to cut a long story short, Amber ended up with a bruised throat and stomach - not nearly as bad as I had expected - and Bryn tore a claw on one of the patio paving stones....blood everywhere....and has a tiny cut on his nose, and I ended up with a shredded finger.

It was a 'daddy or chips' moment: do I take Bryn and Amber to the vet? Or do I go to A&E? Well, there was a lot of blood from Bryn's foot, and I didn't fancy spending Friday night with the drunks and druggies, so the vet won. ...
6am Saturday morning I'm sitting in A&E waiting to be seen. I'm told this is the optimum time to go if you don't fancy a wait..... 2 hours later I'm still in the same spot, and we're being told that it will be at least another 2 hours before any of us are seen.....so I leave. It's not a major wound; not worth waiting 4 hours. Lots more hibiscrub at home - my, that stuff hurts!!!
Monday morning and I'm trying to make an appointment at my local surgery for the practice nurse to take a look and dress it. 'I don't think our nurses do dressings - you will probably have to go to A&E' NO!!!!!! So now I'm waiting for a call back - if the nurse won't see me I'll ask to see the doctor for some anti-biotics, and see if that will work. Dammit! I've paid all these years for the NHS - why is it so difficult to get someone to take a look at a dog bite???
Needless to say, the dogs are all best pals again and doing hooleys round the garden - Bryn with his boot on. Have to take him back to the vet today to have his dressing off - bet it's easier to get someone to see him than it is to get someone to see me!
Update: a lovely nurse saw me at the surgery last night and redressed my hand......but she also insisted on giving me a tetanus jab even though I am up-to-date for life! I was very brave.........

No comments:

Post a Comment