Tuesday, August 24, 2010

West Lakes

West Lakes is one of my favourite shows, set next to the beach dunes on the Cumbrian coast with a panorama of lakeland hills behind the camping area.The journey there is a bit daunting however, and this year was worse than most.....
I always go a day early - Thursday - so that I can take my time, enjoy the scenery, and help set up the show on Friday. So off I went at 9.30am Thursday - very little traffic on the motorways so I even stopped for coffee at a service area en route...so glad that I did! Eventually turned off the M6 onto the A590 and hit a very long tail back from roadworks, but nothing could spoil my good mood, and eventually we were past and turning off at Greenodd onto the A5902.
Now, this is a very narrow road at the start, with no pavements and dry stone walls on both sides, and quite twisty. I had gone about 3 miles, just past Penny Bridge, when I rounded a corner carefully to see that the wall on the nearside had colapsed and there was a rock the size of a football about a metre into the road........and an articulated wagon coming towards me on the other side of the road at quite a fast speed!!! Instant decision - hit the wagon or the rock???? The rock won - BAM! BAM! two nearside tyres burst on impact. I limped about 20 metres further on to be clear of the corner and pulled as close to the nearside wall as I could and put on the hazards. I couldn't see, when I got out, if it was just the tyres that were damaged or the actual wheels as well....but there didn't seem to be any damage under the vehicle thank goodness. Fabulous service from the insurers who had a recovery vehicle to me in just over an hour, and the passing policeman who checked that I and the dogs were fine, and confirmed that we weren't in any way obstructing traffic etc.
Off to Ulverston to ATS Tyres, who said that only the tyres were damaged - thank goodness - and that they had replacements in stock - yippee!!!! So, at 5.30pm, in the starting rain, I finally arrived at the show venue and set up.
Overnight a fierce storm hit the coast with torrential rain and strong gales. In blustery conditions we set up the show rings and I set my course, pegging every jump, as I was judging on Saturday. Sadly, the dogs didn't get much of a walk on Thursday or Friday - then faced another long day on Saturday while I was judging.
And the clouds vanished and the sun shone brightly all day, and I got burned, standing in the middle of the ring. I had pitched the courses at the top end of each combination, and was worried if I had overdone it (I still think the Grade 4/5 large was a bit too tough) but I've had so many complimentary comments since that maybe it was a nice change for people to have a bit of a challenge instead of courses always being set to allow for the lowest Grade?
Saturday evening I enjoyed a lovely walk with the dogs along the beach... and norty Bryn got a good run going backwards and forwards between a couple of horse riders and me....baddog Bryn!!! They didn't seem to be too bothered though.......
Sunday was another hot day and Bryn was on fast, accurate form. Sadly I was tired and rubbish. I kept finding myself in the wrong place, and on his best run I actually sent him over the wrong fence. Long time since I have done that. :( Badhandler!!
A bit of a lie in Monday - listening to the rain again. A quick wet walk for the dogs, then pack up and hit the road. I have to admit to being relieved to get home safely and without any more incidents...and to the excellent news that my close friend had been allowed to go home from hospital! Brilliant!!

No comments:

Post a Comment