Sunday, April 05, 2009

Sunny Scunny

Sunny Scunny lived up to its nick-name - only a few minutes of drizzle early in the morning, then the sun shone - chilly wind to be sure, but it's near the Humber, isn't it?
I always enjoy judging, though I wasn't 100% sure about the courses for this show. They were ones I used about 10 years ago - at the same show! - though tweaked a bit to try to take account of the changes in handling styles.
The Pedigree Trek Pairs qualifier started with a long fast outrun round two sides of the ring, then through the weaves into a technical box-ish bit, where the handler's spatial awareness was important, then a spread and a hurdle to finish/changeover. The three top pairs were phenomenal - driving the dogs but never letting up on the control. It was great to watch.
The Graded 6 & 7 Jumping took the opposite route - first a technical section, then the weaves, then a fast run around the outside to the finish, so, hopefully, there was something for all dogs somewhere on the course. Again, the winners were amazing to watch. My heart was in my mouth, willing the dogs to drive on to the finish after completing all the rest. Quite a few handlers got a bit too focused on the early pull past, and took their eyes off their dogs for a split second - which you can't afford to do at this level of competiton.
It was nice to hear so many positive comments about the courses, both before and after the classes. I always worry about my courses, there's always something I might change with hindsight, and these kind words are so reassuring. I was especially pleased with the number of people who said it was so good to have some courses that you had to think about and work on, that were not just running courses for fast dogs and handlers - like me, they said that they hadn't worked and trained to get their dogs to Grades 6 & 7 just to run straight courses, but to show off their agility skills.
One of the relaxing features of the day for me was knowing that my dogs were being well looked after by some friends while I was judging. In fact, the dogs were so well exercised, that they fell asleep as soon as they got home, and didn't wake up until this morning! Many thanks!!!
Back to Winterton again next weekend for the Dog Vegas Easter Show. This time I'll have to get my skates on and run Amber and Bryn, and it will be me that's exhausted, I think!
PS To everyone who has asked about my Dad, thank you for your interest and concern. He is making steady progress now, and has begun physio and occupational therapy to get him walking again. It's going to be some time yet before he's back home and fending for himself, but there seems to be some light at the end of the tunnel.

No comments:

Post a Comment