Friday, September 04, 2009

Chatsworth - or retail therapy

I had entered 4 classes each for Amber and Bryn: Medium 1 to 7 agility, jumping and combined small and medium helter skelter, with 'on the day' pairs for Amber; and Large 1 to 3 agility, jumping, helter skelter and pairs for Bryn. In the meantime I had decided only to run Amber in jumping classes, so that would mean 7 classes in total. I ran 3 in total - so what went wrong?
Bryn ran his agility but rolled a pole (huge wooden ones) so I put him back on his contact when it wasn't as perfect as usual, and got him eliminated. Then the helter-skelter class (same for all sizes) was set up, and in my opinion, it was dangerous to run. What you have to know is that the ring at Chatsworth has some plastic boards in the middle of it marking the helipad....novel I know. Anyway, in the rain, they had become very slippery. Most Chatsworth judges avoid this area, or stick something over the top of it like a water jump, but this course would have required me to run across the boards twice, once on a tightish turn, so I opted not to run it. As far as I know, only one handler skidded and fell, but I wasn't risking yet another injury - so I went shopping instead with Corker for company. Try eating a mediterranean chicken wrap with a shopping bag in one hand and a cattle dog in the other!! But sampling the cider/beer/sloe gin was fun.......
After lunch I ran Amber and Bryn in their respective jumping classes. Amber was on a flier, so I decided to layer a section in a way that I can usually only do with Bryn - it didn't work sadly, so another big E. Then Bryn got on the start line - first fence, second fence, sharp left to the tunnel - except Bryn did a right out to the boundary, then a beautiful outrun all the way around the edge of the ring, taking several jumps en route, and back to me. (I suspect he had heard the stunt planes arriving over the hill as Corker has taught him to chase planes....) The judge said I could start again - so he did one of the most impressively clear rounds he has ever done - of course!!
Couldn't be bothered with the pairs, so went for some more retail therapy (bakewell tarts, latte coffee, chocolate sampling...) and watched the terrier racing and log sawing (can anything be less interesting?!?) and birds of prey in the main arena.
The agility may have been crap, but I had a lovely day out!!

1 comment:

  1. I sawed some logs for the fire yesterday - didn't draw much of a crowd though ;o)
    Sounds like you had a lovely day out anyway.

    ReplyDelete