Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Lincoln

What a weekend! First of all, I still don't have a camper, so I had booked B&B at a place recommended to me by a friend - went there first to dump my stuff in my own annex with en suite, four-poster bed, and mini kitchen.... and b*%%dy peacocks - 8 of them!!! Then on to the showground just 20 minutes away for a wonderful training session for 2 hours. Really enjoyed that! Then an hour's measuring of dogs, and back to the B&B.
Saturday dawned bright and sunny, a lovely Spring day for a show. I love Lincoln; even though it is a biggish show with 10 rings, it doesn't feel so big because the rings are in the 3 central arena areas (just 1 outside) with the camping and parking all around the arenas, and the stalls and marquee in the centre as well. It also has massively huge exercise areas in every direction, and proper showes and loos. The ground drains well so it is always good to run on, and, an added bonus, is level.
Bryn ran like a real top dog, lots of enthusiasm and drive, totally accurate contacts and weaves, just a careless handler as a handicap...doh!! But I was delighted with him, and drove back to the B&B in a really good mood. Amber and Corker had had some good walks and runs in the exercise area, so we were all a happy band, and Jackie and I did another hour's measuring at lunchtime.
Not so happy by the next morning. The peacocks had decided to roost on the roof of the annex I think; they were certainly not very welcome vistors as far as the dogs were concerned. Anyway, it was raining - urgh! then one of the birds landed on the roof and startled the dogs and me, so that was coffee all over the cushion on the delapidated chaise longue. I had already spent ages mopping up the tipped over water bowl from earlier, now I had this to contend with, and I needed to somehow get the dogs past the peacocks to the car to set off for the show - without any birds being killed or the neighbourhood woken up. To say I was stressed by the time I arrived is an understatement!
Bryn ran like a trooper again, though the courses weren't as nice, in my opinion, as the previous day's (except Dave Hutchinson's which I messed up on the start line!) two of the other courses were too straightforward - all you needed was a very fast dog, little skill at all - and the other was a boring collection of pullthroughs but not much else. Bryn went clear in the agility, but wasn't fast enough for the simple blast course finishing 24th and about 3 seconds behind the winner. BUT the sun came out again between the showers; my 'passenger dogs' got their exercise frolics again; Bryn really looked to be enjoying every moment of the show; and it was great to catch up with so many friends. Another excellent Lincoln show!

No comments:

Post a Comment