Saturday, July 24, 2010

Arrow Lake and Country Park

When I am in the area I walk my dogs in the early morning in Arrow Country Park. This is a massive park, with a huge lake (where the Redditch Racecourse used to be once upon a time) that is used for sailing and watersports, as well as for fishing and supporting colonies of wild water birds. Around the lake are surfaced cycle and walking tracks as well as bridleways and woodland and meadow walks. There are big open lawned areas, just made for ball games. Every town should have an Arrow Park!
Even in the early morning you meet quite a lot of people - cyclists, joggers, walkers, and of course other dog owners. We get chatting and discover that we even know some of the same people through agility shows and clubs!
Such a shame that there is occasionally someone to spoil all this. This morning it was the owner of two aggressive, ambushing terriers. The dogs appeared from nowhere - no owner in sight - andd came flying up to my dogs, who were on leads to keep them out of the water (relatives don't appreciate dity dogs returrning to their clean house - lol!)The dogs were growling and snarling as they rushed at us, one head on and the other flanking. I called oout 'Please call your dogs' and a woman appeared just as the dogs started their second rush. I told her again to call her dogs, and she uttered those immortal words 'They're friendly' Grrrr! Oh no they are not! I told her to get her dogs under control - mine were starting to get agitated as the dogs rushed at us again, still snarling. She did nothing, so I waved my hand at the nearest dog at told it to 'Go away - you horrible dog!' That upset her and she stormed off, yelling something at me - mission accomplished, we carried on with our walk without her aggressive dogs tormenting us. Just because they are small, doesn't make them less nasty.
Luckily we then met some lovely people, with well behaved terriers and spaniels and labradors and collies, all of whom played nicely with my dogs, who went home with laughing faces and lolling tongues.;

No comments:

Post a Comment