Monday, January 26, 2009

Consistency




Well, the trend from the last few days has continued at flyball training, and then at NAWS - Bryn bogging off to 'meet and greet' what he believes is his adoring fan club/audience. This is really frustrating, and will not do! He has too much promise at agility in many ways for this naughtiness to be allowed to remain. Some reward based obedience is called for I think....


So, we went weave training tonight - he did it again a couple of times, but people were primed to send him away and he came back readily enough. We also managed to consolidate his weaves again - he had started to bob out towards the end if I ran past him or went off at an angle. By then end of the session he was weaving well wherever I was - alongside, recall, sendaway etc. His weave entries are ace! Especially for a young, immature dog.


And that is the crux of the matter I think - immaturity. I may have been asking too much from him in terms of independent working, and he may have thought it meant 'do your own thing'. Perhaps I need to step back a bit, and support him a little more for a while.


Amber was working well at NAWS, but as I was helping to run the show, I wasn't as good as I needed to be. Lovely courses - wasted by me! I have noticed that, at almost 9 years old, recovery time is a bit longer these days. Must keep an eye on her.

No comments:

Post a Comment