Monday, January 12, 2009

Still blaming the 'flu!!





Which isn't really fair - more a cop out.
Went to one of my favourite indoor winter shows on Saturday - Wilmslow at Myerscough. This club always runs a well organised, happy show - lots of smiling faces despite the very cold weather, and excellent courses from most of the judges - thank you for standing there freezing your bits off while we ran around and got warm!
Amber was in full flight mode, and nailed every contact and weave or tunnel entry all day. This, of course, completely threw me, so I cocked up the handling for her.... 5F, 10F and 15F were our results. To be fair to myself, I wasn't able to breathe very well still, and my legs felt like someone had drained the energy from them, and my head was a bit fuzzy, but I should have done better than I did.
Bryn also suffered from crap handler syndrome - he was shifting a bit - faster than he has done at shows - and of course nailed all contacts beautifully, layered elements of courses like a Grade 6 dog (not the Grade 3 he is) but took out some poles on turns because I flicked my shoulders around too sharply for him. Again, no eliminations, just a few faults. The one that still puzzles me is in the jumping when he came out of the weaves 2 before the end - twice - something he never usually does, and there were only 6 weaves anyway. He was either distracted by something ringside ( the weaves were next to the ring ropes) or spotted the tunnel further on the course ahead of us. As it is not like him, I'll have to try to replicate the situation and work out what caused it, as well as training him through it. Weaves are one of his strengths, so I don't want problems to start.
Corker had a lovely day being admired whenever he went for a walk, and strutting his stuff as my Main Man and Guardian of the Universe. He is such a lovely companion dog for me to have, and really enjoys his role much more than having to work for a living like the other two.Ha, ha!

1 comment:

  1. Wow Bryn sounds to be doing well!

    Hope you feel a bit better soon - I hate the flu. Trying to isolate myself from it at the moment, nothing quite like 'flu at exam time!

    Hopefully see you sometime soon!

    Katie

    ReplyDelete